The Geographic Information System Laboratory (GISLab) is funded through
internal and external grants and contracts. This document provides the policy
concerning grants and contracts for GISLab projects.
- All GISLab projects involving grants and contracts must be approved
by the GISLab Team Leader before the project can start.
Principal Investigator Status
- A principal investigator (PI) or co-principal investigator (Co-PI)
must be designated for each project run through GISLab.
- Typically, the GISLab Team Leader serves as PI for institutional projects,
and GISLab technical staff members (TSMs) or Tec-7 personnel serve as
PI or Co-PI for projects they initiate and lead.
- The project PI or Co-PI assumes the role of administrative lead, taking
primary responsibility for project oversight and management.
- The PI or Co-PI may also serve as technical lead, taking primary responsibility
for scientific and technical aspects of the project, or may designate
an appropriate GISLab team member as technical lead.
- The PI or Co-PI must designate a point of contact (POC) for each project.
The POC has primary responsibility for communication between the project
sponsor and the GISLab staff.
Scope of Work
- All GISLab projects must have a written Scope of Work that clearly
describes work to be performed, customer expectations, schedule, and
- All work must have a sufficient budget to ensure that the work can
be completed to customer satisfaction.
- Sufficient funds must be budgeted for each project to cover all associated
expenses, including use of GISLab Team technical and administrative
personnel and GISLab facilities (equipment, software..).
- The budget for each GISLab project must include 1) personnel costs,
in the form of base salary and all applicable taxes (division, group,
); 2) materials and services (M&S); 3) training and
- Personnel costs charged through GIS Services (the GISLab recharge)
must recover salary and taxes, and must also include associated M&S
- Minimum M&S and training/travel are budgeted at rates that will
be specified in a document that receives group-level approval, and that
is reviewed periodically.
- Exceptions, wherein M&S and training/travel costs are reduced
or waived, must be approved by the GISLab Team Leader.
- For each GISLab project, customer feedback will be requested to enable
assessment of satisfaction with our work, and ways we can improve our
service, methods, and performance.
- Typically, customer feedback will be measured using periodic questionnaires
or surveys, and by compiling relevant communication with the project
PI, POC, administrative lead, or technical lead.
- Where appropriate, customer evaluation of GISLab staff performance
will be sought.
Reports and Publications
- For each GISLab project, periodic reports will be produced, detailing
project accomplishments. At a minimum, project reports will be produced
on an annual basis and at the end of each project.
- Publication of relevant scientific and technical results is considered
to be an integral and expected part of each GISLab project.
GISLab Standard Rates